The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) is a Ministry approved specialized program that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and assist in their transition from secondary school to apprenticeship training, college, university, or the workplace.
SHSM allow students to focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests.
Currently, FEMSS offers SHSM programs in Construction and Health and Wellness. Follow the links below for ministry information regarding those programs.
Benefits to students enrolled in a SHSM program:
- Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents.
- Develop specialized knowledge and skills.
- Earn credits that post-secondary educational institutions and the sector recognize.
- Gain sector-recognized certification and career-relevant training.
- Develop essential skills and work habits documented through the Ontario Skills Passport.
- Identify, explore and refine career goals and make informed decisions about their future.
- Remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways, should their goals and plans change.
For further information, please visit